Saturday, January 10, 2015

{Review} Dead Gorgeous by Elizabeth Flynn



From the back cover:
Kirsty was trying to make it in the fashion world. As the in-house model for Ivano King and having dated the great designer himself, she believed she was well on her way.

But Kirsty is found dead in her flat one Sunday afternoon, and D.I. Angela Costello is called to the scene.

Kirsty has left behind a lovesick ex-boyfriend and a jealous flatmate And what about King's new girlfriend, who openly admits she has a reason to wish Kirsty dead?

Behind the flawless make-up and gleaming catwalks, Angela's enquiries uncover theft, drug addiction, prostitution - and suddenly her own life could be in danger...

My thoughts:
Dead Gorgeous had two things I enjoy which made me want to read it - mystery and fashion. I enjoy a good mystery and this certainly fit the bill.  I also enjoy fashion but I am far from being a fashionista. In fact, my daily look is typically slip-on shoes, jeans, and a t-shirt. My guilty pleasure is watching Project Runway wishing very much that I could sew a straight seam let alone use a sewing machine. However, I can only sew a button and fix a small rip by hand - that's about it. I have an odd fascination with it all though.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I have to admit I'm a day late on this review. I simply forgot about the book sitting in my stack of review items. Thankfully I had a free time today and blew through the entire book. Yes, I started and finished the entire thing today.

The author was great. This is the first book I've read by her. I enjoyed the fact that she is British and used quite a bit of British slang. I wasn't familiar with a lot of it, but it didn't stop me. Typically most of it could be figured out within the context of the story.

She did a great job drawing us into the book and quickly moving the story forward. It was a great whodunit and the plot twists kept coming so every time I thought I had it figured out something would change and I was proven wrong - right up until the very end.

While this is the second book about D.I. Costello, it is definitely a stand-alone story. I have not read the first book (yet, I just bought it and downloaded it to my Kindle) but did not feel it stopped me from enjoying or understanding this story at all. I'm very much looking forward to the next book by this author. I highly recommend Dead Gorgeous by Elizabeth Flynn.


Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?